The history of the devotion to Our Lady of Lujan began in 1630 when an immigrant farmer from Portugal decided to build a chapel on his newly acquired land in Argentina. He wrote to a friend in Brazil requesting that he send a small statue of Our Lady for his chapel. The friend responded by sending two statues: one of Mary, Mother of God, and one of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception.
After their safe sea crossing, the statues were then placed on a cart in Buenos Aires to make their journey inland. When the transport caravan arrived at the Lujan River, however, something strange took place: the ox-pulled cart carrying the images of Our Lady would not budge. All efforts to move the cart were unsuccessful until the image of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was unloaded. As soon as the image was off the cart, with the other image remaining inside, the cart proceeded to be pulled with ease.
The statue of the Immaculate Conception, enrobed in an ornate blue-and-white dress and crowned as Queen, was then enthroned in a small wayside chapel where Mary had chosen to remain. She would henceforth be known as Our Lady of Lujan, "the Woman who waits," eventually becoming the most venerated image in all the region.
This miraculous image of Mary, the woman who could not be moved, reveals the mystery of the same Mother who remains fixed at the foot of the Cross. Wherever the Cross of Christ is, Mary is present. Standing immobile beneath the Cross, she is able to travel to every place where the Cross of her Son is proclaimed.
As patroness of the missionaries of the Religious Family of the Incarnate Word, Our Lady of Lujan continues to journey to foreign lands, attracting the hearts of all men and encouraging them to accompany her at the foot of the Cross, the instrument of Redemption and sign of evangelization.